DOHA, Qatar and PARIS, July 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Telkom Indonesia and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext and NYSE: ALU) have today announced an agreement for Alcatel-Lucent to build a next-generation agile optical network in the Kalimantan and Sulawesi areas, as well as the greater Jakarta region, which generates around 50% of Telkom Indonesia's data traffic.
The fiber-optic network, based on converged wavelength division multiplexing/optical transport (WDM/OTN) technology will enable Telkom Indonesia to provide 100 gigabits-per-second (100G) capability. This will cost-efficiently and effectively meet customer demands for increasingly sophisticated and high-bandwidth mobile services, including video, multimedia and other data-intensive applications.
- Telkom Indonesia currently provides high-speed broadband to more than 19 million customers and 125 million cellular customers.
- The 100G network will cover 50 percent of high-speed broadband traffic in Telkom Indonesia's service area.
- Alcatel-Lucent is employing its 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged WDM/OTN platform to address the booming demand for high-bandwidth data services such as high-definition video streaming, next-generation mobile broadband applications and cloud services.
- The intelligent generalized multiprotocol label switching (GMPLS) Control Plane ensures automated network operation and highest service protection.
- 100G fiber-optic technology takes advantage of unique silicon innovations from Alcatel-Lucent's Bell Labs and supports a capacity of up to 8.8 Terabit per second - the equivalent of 1.32 million HDTV channels streamed at the same time - over a single optical fiber.
- Alcatel-Lucent Agile Optical Networking (AON) enables more cost-effective and efficient 100G networking with increased intelligence. It leverages the high-performance and economics of the Alcatel-Lucent Photonic Service Engine (PSE)-based 100G with high-capacity OTN, packet and photonic switching along with the automation of embedded network intelligence on the purpose-built 1830 PSS WDM platform.
Quotes:Arief Yahya, The President Director of Telkom Indonesia, said: "The growing appetite for bandwidth hungry devices and applications is driving tremendous demand throughout our networks. We expect through Alcatel-Lucent's Agile Optical Networking (AON) 100G optical transport solution, Telkom could provide high-capacity with the flexibility and efficiency to serve our customers today and in the future." Bobby Rasyidin, Alcatel-Lucent's Senior Executive in Indonesia, said: "With geography spanning more than 17,000 islands, Telkom Indonesia was looking for a technology provider to build a network foundation that can serve a wide territory cost-efficiently and effectively. The work Alcatel-Lucent is doing will help create a common platform for network capacity and efficiency that covers 200 million residents of Indonesia." Helpful links:
- Agile Optical Networking
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (website)
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (video)
- 400G Photonic Service Engine (website)
- Paving the way the world's first commercial 400G coherent solution (video)
- Alcatel-Lucent 1830 PSS photo
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV