The value-oriented fund announced that it is filing suits this week in both the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States District Court for the District of Columbia "to protect its rights as an owner of preferred stock in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, including the right to receive dividends from the profitable companies."
Last month, private shareholders of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac filed a suit challenging the legality of the companies' takeover.
The suits from Berkowitz and Perry, however, do not challenge the takeover but the 2012 amendment, arguing that it violates the principles of "conservatorship" .
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.>Contact by Email. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV