NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mortgage interest rates fell back last week after 30 days of upward momentum.
The question homebuyers and real estate agents are asking is: Where will mortgage rates go now?
For the week, 30-year fixed mortgage rates fell from 4.55% to 4.44%, according to the BankingMyway.com Weekly Mortgage Rate tracker.
Fifteen-year fixed-rate mortgages also fell, from 3.77% to 3.61%, while five-year adjustable rate mortgages slid from 3.38% to 3.23%.Economists say rates have fallen over hints from the Federal Reserve that it might ease up on its mortgage bond purchase program, which has helped keep mortgage rates low. (FNMA) offers some guidance on the issue with its June National Housing Survey. In it, Fannie Mae surveyed 1,000 Americans on their views on homeownership, home prices and mortgage rates. In the survey, 57% respondents expect mortgage rates to rise over the next 12 months -- that's up from 46% in the May survey, and it's the highest number in the three-year history of the survey. In addition, 57% of survey respondents expect home prices to rise, with 72% of Americans saying it's a good time to buy a home. In a way, FNMA says, potential homebuyers are in a race to buy a home before mortgage rates and home prices rise too high.
- 46% of Americans say their personal financial situation will improve over the next year -- the highest level since 2010.
- 26% of Americans report their household income is up -- a 6% rise from last year.
- 47% of respondents say it would "easy" for them to get a mortgage this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV