Lawmakers On Stage As Indiana American Legion Re-Emerges As Political Player
INDIANAPOLIS, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- With two United States Senators, U.S. Representative Susan Brooks (R-5th), as well as Indiana Governor Mike Pence and Indianapolis' Mayor Greg Ballard addressing the 95 th annual State Convention of the Indiana American Legion this weekend, the state's largest veterans' group is flexing its political muscle once again. "Political, yes. Partisan, no. Absolutely not," outgoing Legion Commander Richard A. Jewell said.
"Democrat Sen. Joe Donnelly and Republican Sen. Dan Coates both have accepted our invitation to address the convention – Sen. Donnelly on Friday and Sen. Coates on Saturday. Both the Mayor and the Governor will address the delegates on Friday, as will Rep. Brooks.
"In addition, eight members of the Indiana General Assembly will be on hand Saturday morning to be recognized for their legislative efforts on behalf of veterans, efforts ranging from naming a section of Interstate 69 to providing outstanding opportunities for veteran education, employment and business," Jewell said.
Sen. Donnelly is scheduled to speak at approximately 2:30 PM, Friday, July 12. Sen. Coates will address the delegates at approximately 9:15 AM Saturday, July 13. Governor Pence and Mayor Ballard are scheduled for Friday, July 12, 2013, at 3:00 PM and 2:15 PM, respectively.Rep. Brooks' address is scheduled for 3:30 PM on Friday, and all eight members of the Indiana General Assembly will share the platform at approximately 9:00 AM on Saturday. Department Commander Jewell said the resurgence of political dialogue by The American Legion is not only long overdue, but a natural outcome of the organization's growing concern over issues that affect Hoosier veterans every day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV