Same-Sex Couples Face New Financial Future -- and Opportunities
By Brian O'Connell
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Yes, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a section of the Defense of Marriage Act affecting same-sex marriage, but once the champagne bottle is corked it becomes time to focus on what new financial opportunities await.
What personal finance issues and opportunities top the list of potentially seismic changes?
We reached out to finance expert Susan Garland, editor of Kiplinger's Retirement Report, for some guidance on the issue."Same-sex married couples will no longer face second-class status in their access to federal benefits and favored tax treatment," Garland says. "Many couples will reap significant monetary rewards, especially in when it comes to retirement programs, tax breaks and health coverage." Social Security spousal and survivor benefits, Garland says. "Like all married couples, they will be able to employ certain claiming strategies that will likely boost their lifetime income, perhaps by tens of thousands of dollars," she says. Tax breaks: U.S. federal law offers gay and lesbian couples tax breaks in myriad areas, including employer-sponsored health coverage, inherited IRAs and some other retirement packages. Historically, same-sex couples paid the federal tax on the value of a partner's health coverage. With marriage statutes in place, that's a thing of the past. The Marriage penalty: Same-sex couples will be eligible to file joint tax returns, but that isn't always a net positive, Garland says. "Two workers with high incomes may be socked with the 'marriage penalty' and pay more than they're paying now, while couples where one spouse earns little or nothing could end up paying less," she adds. DOMA decision also opens options for same-sex couples when it comes to inherited IRAs, "as a spouse has more rights than a non-spouse beneficiary," Garland notes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV