As the summer temperatures rise, make sure your yard is performing at its peak as well. July is ‘Smart Irrigation Month’ and The Toro Company wants to help homeowners to do their part to responsibly maintain healthy, beautiful lawns by using water wisely.
Toro, along with the Irrigation Association, who initiated ‘Smart Irrigation Month’ in 2005, offers these tips to ensure your lawn looks its best during the summer season:
- Know What’s Below. By understanding your lawn’s soil type, you can easily determine how quickly water can be absorbed by the soil and when to stop watering.
- Aim For The Green Stuff. When setting sprinklers, make sure the water is delivered onto the turf, not driveways, sidewalks, patios or buildings.
- Timing Is Everything. Homeowners can lose up to 30% of their water to evaporation by running their systems during the day. Avoid wasteful watering by running your sprinklers in the morning, never during the heat of the day.
- Watch The Weather. If your region has experienced a lot of rain, you may not need to water your lawn. Too much moisture can result in shallow root penetration, weed growth, plant disease and fungus.
In addition to smarter watering practices, the Irrigation Association advises homeowners to consider installing an in-ground sprinkler system, or upgrading your existing sprinkler system. Toro’s lineup of new WaterSmart ® products is more efficient than traditional irrigation products and can deliver the best results, while reducing water usage:
- Toro ® XTRA SMART™ EC•XTRA™ Landscape Timer with Wireless Weather Sensor is an interactive system that allows precise regulation of watering schedules based on current weather patterns. This weather-based technology automatically adjusts runtimes based on a wide range of environmental variables.
- Toro ® XTRA SMART™ Precision™ Soil Moisture Sensor monitors the moisture level in the soil, wirelessly communicates that data to the sprinkler timer, and shuts off the system when adequate water levels are reached. Homeowners can enjoy up to 35% annual water savings on their outdoor water consumption.
- Toro ® Precision™ Series H 2 FLO ™ Nozzles use a third less water and apply water at a rate of 1-inch per hour, which matches most soil’s natural absorption rate.
- Toro ® Multi-Stream Precision™ Rotating Nozzles apply slow, rotating streams of water up to 26-feet away, which allow for greater absorption and less runoff.
Toro Design Services can also help draft the blueprints for success in creating your own customized irrigation system. To get started, simply log onto ToroDesign.com and download the “New System” form. Standard design services start at $19.95, which can be rebated upon purchase of certain Toro WaterSmart products.Click here to see all of these Toro WaterSmart® products in action. Look for Toro WaterSmart ® products at Ace ® Hardware, Orchard Supply Hardware, as well as online at HomeDepot.com, Amazon.com and ToroDealer.com. To read more about the Irrigation Association’s ‘Smart Irrigation Month’ initiatives, please visit www.irrigation.org/Resources/Smart_Irrigation_Month/Consumer_Water_Wisely.aspx%23. About The Toro CompanyThe Toro Company (NYSE: TTC) is a leading worldwide provider of innovative turf, landscape, rental and construction equipment, and irrigation and outdoor lighting solutions. With sales of more than $1.9 billion in fiscal 2012, Toro’s global presence extends to more than 90 countries through strong relationships built on integrity and trust, constant innovation, and a commitment to helping customers enrich the beauty, productivity and sustainability of the land. Since 1914, the company has built a tradition of excellence around a number of strong brands to help customers care for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, and agricultural fields. More information is available at www.toro.com.