NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Elon Musk's Tesla Motors (TSLA) has yet to break down and reward the bears. Scott Redler, chief strategic officer at T3Live.com, tells TheStreet's Debra Borchardt that that story might not change anytime soon.
The automaker will be replacing Oracle (ORCL) in the Nasdaq 100, but to be fair, Oracle has already announced it's moving to the New York Stock Exchange.
Redler said that perhaps some traders knew of the impending move, as Tesla refused to go red yesterday from an analyst downgrade based on valuation.
He added that young growth companies rarely trade without a bloated or elevated valuation and that too many bears try to attack that aspect.That's where technicals, price action and momentum come in, since traders need something to try and trade Tesla off of. Once the stock ripped higher after earnings, it held those gains and spent several months consolidating. Redler says that while we might be a little overbought in the short term, the long term potentially offers bulls $150 per share. Another stock that he likes is SolarCity (SCTY), a company that went public in December 2012. The company held its 50-day moving average after the employee-stock lock up period ended, a bullish technical sign. He added that if the stock can break out above $41.50, that $45 would be the next line of resistance. However, he also cautioned that this stock is still pretty new and that Wall Street will need to see a few more earnings reports before really warming up to it. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV