CIBC Team Next to invest $2 million to help young athletes reach their full potential with high-profile mentors, financial support and life coaching
TORONTO, July 9, 2013 /CNW/ - CIBC (TSX: CM) (NYSE: CM) is proud to announce the CIBC Team Next program - a $2 million investment to assist 67 young athletes who aspire to realize their dreams and represent Canada on the world stage.
In addition to providing amateur athletes with financial support, the program will provide invaluable opportunities to develop important career and life skills, along with mentorship from world class Canadian athletes, including Simon Whitfield, Bruny Surin, Kara Lang, Josh Cassidy, Mary Spencer and Mark de Jonge.
"As Lead Partner of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games, we are proud to help create a lasting sport legacy in Canada through CIBC Team Next," said Richard Nesbitt, Chief Operating Officer, CIBC. "We know that Canada's young athletes, and their families, make many sacrifices to develop their athletic talents. We are proud to provide support as they balance their sports commitments with their education and career goals.""I am excited to be a mentor and share my experiences with these young athletes," said Simon Whitfield, Pan Am, World Cup and Olympic champion and CIBC Team Next mentor. "What I love about the program is that it not only helps athletes fund the training camps, international competitions and equipment that are a big part of their relentless pursuit of excellence, but also provides them with valuable life skills that will serve them well in their athletic career and beyond. I wish I had access to a program like this when I was starting out." Each of the 67 athletes selected will receive:
- A $5,000 annual grant for the next three years ( $15,000 total)
- Mentorship from prominent Canadian athletes: Simon Whitfield, Kara Lang, Josh Cassidy, Mary Spencer, Mark de Jonge and Bruny Surin
- Workshops and advice on personal finances, post-secondary and career planning, social media training and public speaking
- Exclusive access to the CIBC Team Next idea sharing forum
- Community support and networking opportunities through the local CIBC branches and employees in their home community
- Preferred CIBC products and services