BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Health care stocks have led the way for the broad market in 2013 -- and they're continuing to lead the pack in the second half of the year.
As a group, health stocks have performed well this year. The iShares Dow Jones US Healthcare ETF (IYH) is up more than 22% year-to-date, besting the S&P 500 by a whopping 7% over the same time frame. For every dollar a broad market index has gained in 2013, health care indices have gained $1.50. But the health care sector's leadership goes beyond just outperformance.
Health care has been a step ahead of major indices in terms of timing too. Most large health stocks rolled over weeks before the S&P 500 started on its multimonth correction -- and now, health names are showing signs of strength again. That suggests that Mr. Market could be heading higher too in July.>>5 Stocks the Pros Love This Summer That's why we're taking a technical look at the trading setups brewing five health care stocks today. For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. >>5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts So without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV