- Improved heat management: The trend toward ever-smaller devices with more densely packed electronic components is coinciding with the expanding use of flip chip and stacked die architectures. As a result, the industry is seeking improved thermal management from advanced silicone technologies that effectively dissipate heat and deliver greater device reliability and longer life.
- Enhanced stress passivation: The rapid growth of wafer-level packaging and power electronics is posing new manufacturing challenges for stress mitigation. At issue is thermo-mechanical stress failure caused, in part, by conventional organic passivation materials. This has prompted new explorations in photopatternable silicone solutions that help minimize thermo-mechanical stress during processing, and deliver higher thermal stability and low temperature cure.
- Lower systems costs: Minimizing total cost of ownership is essential for all semiconductor manufacturing applications. But it is a key enabler for next-generation technologies, such as 3D IC integration built on ultra-thin active wafers. These wafers are temporarily bonded to a carrier wafer before being thinned; yet most temporary bonding solutions require costly pre-treatment and specialized chambers. Recent industry collaborations, however, have successfully fielded a simpler, more cost-effective temporary bonding solution based on silicone adhesive and release layers. The breakthrough technology now enables room-temperature bonding and debonding of active and carrier wafers using conventional manufacturing methods.
Dow Corning Sees Collaborative Advances In Materials And Processing Technologies As A Sustaining Force In The Semiconductor Industry's Recovery. (Photo: Courtesy Of Dow Corning)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts