MOLINE, Ill., July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Teenage participants at three chapters of The First Tee will explore several aspects of a career in golf course management and the science of agronomy this summer through a new program sponsored by John Deere.
The experience known as "Careers on Course" is being offered as a part of Deere's $1 million commitment to the First Tee organization, which was announced in February. The program is expected to expand to other courses in the future.
"The First Tee is an outstanding and proven program for youth development," said James M. Field, president of John Deere's Worldwide Agriculture and Turf Division. "The Careers on Course program builds on the leadership development activities already taking place in The First Tee while providing participants with the opportunity to better understand the business of golf course maintenance."
Deere announced in February that it would contribute $1 million over five years to The First Tee, a non-profit youth organization that uses golf as a platform to teach life and leadership skills and provide character education programs for young people.Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee, said, "There are many important outcomes for young people involved in The First Tee. Participants have more confidence in academic work and social settings. We believe Careers on Course will help keep young people engaged and inspire interest in the scientific, technological, and business aspects of a golf course management career." Deere is a major manufacturer of equipment for golf course maintenance and turf care and a title sponsor of a PGA TOUR event. The company has stated that The First Tee contribution emphasizes John Deere's commitment to the game of golf and the career development of professionals in the golf course maintenance industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV