Updated from 8:32 a.m. EST to provide analyst comments in the twelfth paragraph.
Late on Monday Nasdaq announced that the Palo Alto, Calif.-based company will be joining its NASDAQ-100 Index, as well as the NASDAQ-100 Equal Weighted Index prior to the beginning of trading on July 15, 2013. Tesla will replace Oracle (ORCL), which is joining the New York Stock Exchange.
Tesla shares were higher in early Tuesday trading following the announcement, gaining 3.08% to $125.35.This announcement solidifies the coming of age of the electric car and the Model S, and most importantly, Tesla itself. The company could not be immediately reached for comment for this story. It's pretty incredible that a company that's only 10 years old has joined the Nasdaq 100. As CNBC's Herb Greenberg points, Tesla joined the Nasdaq 100 faster than Netflix (NFLX), and on a similar trajectory to Amazon (AMZN).
$TSLA joining the Nasdaq 100, Reality Check: It's 10 yrs old, public 3 yrs. NFLX, 16, added last month. $AMZN, 2008, 2 yrs old, public 1 yr.— Herb Greenberg (@herbgreenberg) July 9, 2013Having test-driven a Model S, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, it's the most incredible driving experience I've ever had. The interior of the car is immaculate, and has every gadget and toy you could possibly want. Drivers can go from 0 to full torque instantly. It's truly an experience like no other, and speaks to the innovation that CEO Elon Musk and Tesla have incorporated into their vehicles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV