In a statement released early on Tuesday, Shell said that van Beurden, who was appointed the company's Downstream Director in January, will assume the CEO's role on Jan. 1, 2014. Voser will leave the oil and gas giant at the end of March next year, according to Shell, bringing an end to his 29 years with the company.
In early May Shell announced that Voser, who was appointed CEO in July 2009, would retire in the first half of 2014.
"Van Beurden's selection came after a comprehensive assessment and review of internal and external candidates led by the Board Nomination and Succession Committee," said Chairman Jorma Ollila, in the statement released on Tuesday.Van Beurden joined Shell in 1983, and has held both 'Upstream' and 'Downstream' roles during his time at the company. Upstream refers to oil and gas exploration and extraction, while Downstream refers to Shell's businesses that turn crude oil into refined products, which are then distributed and marketed around the world. "Ben has deep knowledge of the industry and proven executive experience across a range of Shell businesses," said Ollila, in the statement. "Ben will continue to drive and further develop the strategic agenda that we have set out, to generate competitive returns for our shareholders." Shell shares, which closed up 1.04% in Monday's trading, rose 0.77% to $64.37 before market open on Tuesday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV