By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls are pouring into Oneok (OKE) as the pipeline company tries to bounce from long-term support.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected unusual volume in the August 45 calls yesterday, with buyers paying $0.45 and $0.50 halfway through the morning. Volume quickly ratcheted above previous open interest of 142 contracts, indicating that new money was put to work. More than 6,300 calls eventually changed hands in the strike.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, providing investors with a relatively inexpensive way to profit from gains. That way they risk only a fraction of the stock's value, which limits the amount of money they can lose in the event of a selloff.Oneok shares pushed higher after the option trades hit and ended the session up 3.55% to $41.42. The August 45 calls, however, doubled to $0.95, which shows the kind of leverage that can be achieved with options. Oneok produced some winning option trades earlier in the year but is now back near its lows from 2012. Pipelines have been weak for the last few months, but the longer-term trend in the group remains bullish as the domestic energy story takes hold. Overall option volume was 12 times greater than average in the name yesterday. Calls accounted for more than four-fifths of the total. Russell has no positions in OKE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV