ACCRA, Ghana and PARIS, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Surfline Communications Ltd today announced the first commercial deployment of a 4G LTE network in Ghana and, more general, in Western and Central Africa.
Alcatel-Lucent will provide hardware and software, along with installation, optimization, maintenance and managed services, helping Surfline roll out next-generation mobile communications in response to rapidly increasing data demand driven by the proliferation of lower cost smart phones.
The new IP architecture-based network will give Surfline the ability to quickly and economically expand mobile broadband capacity as customer demand grows. The 4G LTE network will provide Surfline customers access to social networking sites, Internet browsing, e-mail, online gaming, streamed videos and video calling with dramatically increased performance.
Surfline believes the Ghanaian market has matured beyond the products and services currently available in the market. This is especially true in the data sector. As a data-centric communications provider Surfline will address national requirements for broadband connectivity that will greatly contribute to Ghana's social and economic growth.Key Facts :
- Initial coverage by the network to include the capital, Accra, followed by all major cities and a nationwide rollout.
- Affordable country-wide broadband connectivity will act as a catalyst for the development of a digital-based economy by increasing information and communications technology (ICT) literacy.
- In Ghana, and elsewhere in Africa, 4G LTE is expected to transform the use of technology with regards to mobile consumers, healthcare, transportation, energy, security, agriculture, sales and payments industries and infrastructure.
- Alcatel-Lucent is deploying its industry-leading 4G LTE ultra high-speed mobile broadband product capabilities which include:
- LTE Radio Access Network
- Evolved Packet Core
- Professional services to install, optimize, maintain and manage the LTE network
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV