Curiously, there is almost no competition yet in this SUV or minivan segment for electrified cars. There are some half-hearted attempts, and some arguably equally half-hearted attempts hitting the U.S. market in the next 12 months, but nothing quite like the size of the modified 2015 Tesla Model X.
I will make a prediction right now: Before 2015 is over, there will be a movement in Texas to make the Tesla Model X a popular alternative to the Chevy Suburban and Dodge Caravan -- NRA bumper stickers and gun racks included.
Given that automotive development cycles now last about four years, the ball is immediately in GM's court: When will there be a Chevrolet Suburban with a beefed-up version of the Chevrolet Volt powertrain? And for Chrysler-Fiat, when will be there be an electric Dodge Caravan? Will Ford (F) make an electric F-150?
GM, Ford, Chrysler and all the others are appropriately secretive. What do they have up their sleeves that can counter Tesla's 2015 attack on the large SUV and minivan markets?Stay tuned for another important update. At the time of publication, the author was long F. Follow @antonwahlman This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV