Shares hit a new 52-week-high on Monday of $17 after Reuters confirmed the news by citing three people familiar with the matter. Jones Group is parent company to a myriad of brands including Nine West, Anne Klein and Jones New York.
At last check the stock was up 9.7% to $16.06 on trading volume that was more than three times its average three-month trading volume.
The news was first reported on Friday by Dealreporter.Apparently Jones Group is in the early stages of assessing interest in a sale. The company is reaching out to potential bidders in private equity and elsewhere, Reuters said. "Like most companies, Jones Group has ongoing relationships with a wide range of advisors," the company said in an emailed statement. "As a matter of practice, the company does not share the specifics of these relationships." In May, the company hired James Mitarotonda of Barington Capital Group, which owned 2.3% of its common stock, to its board of directors. The activist hedge fund has been pressuring Jones to focus on its shoe brands, which include Nine West, Stuart Weitzman, Easy Spirit and Bandolino, and away from its non-core clothing brands, Reuters says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV