NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - The unofficial start of earnings season kicks off after the bell today and TheStreet's Debra Borchardt is with Jon Corpina, managing director of Meridian Equity Partners, discussing the outlook for the next several trading weeks.
The season is considered to begin when Alcoa (AA) reports after this afternoon's close.
A the aluminum company slumps, does it make any sense to look for the success of the rest of corporate America based on its results?
According to Corpina, not really. While the earnings in general seem to do better when Alcoa beats top and bottom line estimates, it's unrealistic to think that one company can shed light on thousands of others in different sectors and industries.While economic data points give investors a much broader sense of the global economy, earnings have a "micro" focus on individual companies, he said. So what's Corpina watching for in the coming weeks? No necessarily individual stocks, he said, but the energy and financial sectors, because they provide insight as to how the U.S. economy is really doing, as well as how it's being affected by Europe, China and the Middle East. "Those typical sectors are going to help investors get a better idea of what our earnings season might look like," Corpina concluded. JPMorgan (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC) both report earnings this Friday and will kick off the financials. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV