By owning a diversified portfolio that includes REITs, investors benefit from the REIT yield premium that provides a potentially attractive alternative for income-seeking investors. Intelligent REIT investors should pay attention to operating fundamentals and examine which REITs will continue to prosper even if (or when) interest rates rise.
In my sleep-well-at-night (or SWAN) portfolio, I examine the fundamentals of the high-quality REITs in an effort to make sure they can withstand the added stress of rising interest rates.
As legendary author and investor Ben Graham taught, it's impossible to eliminate all investment risk. But by using certain valuation methods, investors can greatly minimize risk in REITs by filtering out risky REITs with poor fundamentals from the outset.An asset-allocation strategy with REITs can enhance total return, while not adding meaningfully to risk. Even over the past decade -- a difficult period marked by two recessions, two asset bubbles, a financial crisis, and three periods of rising inflation, REITs have boosted the return of a stock and bond portfolio, while reducing overall risk. Stay focused on the most important thing -- protecting your principal at all costs -- and you should be able to withstand market-driven adversity and sleep well at night. Source: Bloomberg and Cohen & Steers At the time of publication, the author owned shares of Realty Income. Follow @swan_investor This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV