When we talk about trading volatility directly, the conversation often turns to complex products like CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) futures and options or over the counter variance swaps. It's worth remembering that to trade volatility, you don't need to trade in anything esoteric. Every transaction in puts or calls, after all, expresses a view about volatility, such that even the most familiar uses of options -- like covered calls and married puts -- are actually ways of adding the volatility-as-an-asset theme to your portfolio. Investors often think about selling covered calls as a way of adding "income" to a stock portfolio, but it would be more accurate to describe call selling as a short volatility strategy.
This also serves as a reminder that there are really only two kinds of reasons to use options in a transaction: for the leverage, or to express a view about volatility. The latter sort of reasoning is what options are best suited for. As for the former: no investor ever became successful just because she levered up, while plenty of firms and investors have failed after using excessive leverage. So when you see a writer or commentator recommending the use of options for some trade, ask yourself whether volatility is an essential part of their analysis. If not - if, for instance, it's just a directional bet with added leverage - think twice before following along. Volatility is a valuable asset, but only if you trade it on purpose.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV