The truth is out there.
-- FBI Special Agent Fox William Mulder, The X Files
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On July 7, 1947, something strange happened in Roswell, N.M. Field (RAAF) intelligence officer Major Jesse Marcel was sent to check it out, and from there, the story becomes one of the most well known, and bizarre, in U.S. military history.
Initial reports claimed the Army had recovered the wreckage of a flying saucer, as well as bodies of aliens that were killed during the crash. Later, the Army denied its own report, saying it had uncovered a weather balloon, and was not something citizens should be worried about.Nearly three-quarters of a century later, people still talk about what happened. Even Google (GOOG) has gotten in on the act, with a Doodle game that follows the storyline of what supposedly happened in Roswell. It's an interactive Doodle, similar to what Google did with the Olympics last year. The game features an alien who crash lands on Earth (likely Roswell), and the goal is for the alien to be able to get back on the space ship and go home. (Note: The alien is grey, not a little little green man, as some have thought over the years.) Once the user sends the alien home, there's a fake news story about the events that occurred during the game. You can click on it, and that takes you to a Google search on all things Roswell related. Very few people actually know whether or not aliens are real, or if they are just figments of our imagination and characters on the screen. One thing I do know for certain. Our imagination will never stop wondering about them until one of them "phones home." --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV