Well-defined and properly monitored cleaning and sterilization practices are vital to achieving infection prevention goals within healthcare facilities. Busy surgery schedules, complex instrument sets and varying manufacturer instructions for use (IFUs) create a challenging environment for sterile processing teams to balance speed and quality. For many facilities, a robust sterilization monitoring quality process includes 3M ™ Attest ™ Biological Indicators. 3M today announced the availability of the new 3M ™ Attest ™ Super Rapid Readout Biological Indicator System for steam sterilization cycles, which offers biological confirmation of a successful instrument sterilization process up to three times faster than previously possible.
“It’s a huge technological milestone with clear efficiency benefits,” said Tushar Kshirsagar, global business director, 3M Sterilization. “With the new, optimized Attest system, BI results are available in about the time it takes to cool a load, and instruments and implants can be released to the OR much sooner.”
A biological indicator (BI) is a self-contained test system containing viable microorganisms providing a defined resistance to a specified sterilization process. 1 Biological indicators provide direct evidence of sterilization cycle lethality by challenging the process with highly resistant spores. However, this high level of sterility assurance previously required a three-hour incubation period, with some or all loads quarantined until BI results were known. The new Attest Super Rapid Readout system yields three times faster results for pre-vacuum steam sterilization cycles (brown cap), with results available in one hour instead of three hours. For gravity-displacement steam sterilization cycles (blue cap), results are two times faster, available in just 30 minutes, instead of one hour. Comparisons are based on the performance of the 3M Attest Rapid Readout Biological Indicator products.
By providing fast, accurate results, Attest Super Rapid Readout BIs may help to increase patient safety, make hospitals more efficient and bring the peace of mind that comes with the confidence of a biological result. Additional benefits of the new system include:
- Improved speed and efficiency: Faster biological results can increase set turnaround and utilization, helping facilities manage instrument costs and keep the OR on schedule.
- Reduced need for early release documentation: With faster BI results, implants can be released quickly with the confidence of a negative biological result, potentially reducing frequency of emergency release documentation.
- Lower risk and severity of recalls: Should a recall occur due to a sterilizer failure, having a faster BI result can improve response time, lessening the severity of the recall.
- 3M Attest Super Rapid Readout Biological Indicator 1492V (brown cap)
- 3M Attest Super Rapid Readout Steam Challenge Pack 1496V
- 3M Attest Super Rapid 5 Steam-Plus Challenge Pack 41482V
- 3M Attest Super Rapid Readout Biological Indicator 1491 (blue cap) — available later in 2013
- 3M Attest Auto-reader 490
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV