NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- My headline from Friday's trading is the 21.5 basis point rise in the yield of the U.S. 30-year bond yield to 3.708%, the highest since August 2011. Home builder stocks declined, while banking indices set new multi-year highs.
The catalyst for this dynamic is what Wall Street called an improving jobs picture. I disagree with this interpretation and continue to call the labor market, the 'Obamacare Job Market', or the shift to part time employment from full time employment so that employers do not have to pay for health care insurance under the mandate of the Affordable Care Act.
How else would you describe a rise of 360,000 part time jobs and a decline of 240,000 full time jobs? Because of this quickly changing labor market the real unemployment rate, known as U6 rose to 14.3% in June from 13.8% in May. The percent of full time jobs fell to 47%.
A related problem I recently read about is that real seasonally adjusted median household income declined from just above $56,000 when the recession began at the end of 2007 to $51,500 in today's part time labor market. This is another way to say that the cost of living is rising on Main Street USA.Meanwhile on Wall Street I recently viewed a chart that showed NYSE margin debt at levels not seen since before the tech bubble burst in March 2000 and in mid-2007 before massive stock market decline that lasted into March 2009. With the 30-year yield at 3.708% the ValuEngine valuation warning intensified with 73.0% of all stocks overvalued, 37.1% by 20% or more. Against this backdrop, home builder stocks have shifted from a leadership role to being stock market laggards. The PHLX Housing Sector Index
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV