Sprint Nextel Corporation (“Sprint”) (NYSE: S) and SoftBank Corp. (“SoftBank”) (TSE: 9984) today announced the preliminary results of elections made by Sprint shareholders regarding their preferences as to the form of merger consideration they will receive in connection with the pending transaction between Sprint and SoftBank. The deadline for Sprint shareholders to have made elections in connection with the transaction was 5:00 p.m., New York time, on July 5, 2013.
Of the 3,026,063,027 shares of Sprint common stock outstanding as of July 5, 2013, holders of:
- 79,708,999 shares, or approximately 3 percent of outstanding shares, elected to receive shares of Sprint Corporation (“New Sprint”) common stock;
- 1,607,839,145 shares, or approximately 53 percent of outstanding shares, elected to receive cash; and
- 1,338,514,883 shares, or approximately 44 percent of outstanding shares, made no election and therefore will be deemed to have elected to receive cash.
The allocation of the merger consideration will be computed using the formula set forth in that certain Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of October 15, 2012, as subsequently amended (the “Merger Agreement”), by and among Sprint, SoftBank and its direct and indirect wholly owned subsidiaries, Starburst I, Inc., Starburst II, Inc. (“Starburst II”) and Starburst III, Inc.
Elections to receive cash or stock consideration made by Sprint shareholders are subject to proration, as described in the Merger Agreement and the proxy statement/prospectus and related supplement relating to the transaction. Proration is required if either the available cash consideration ($16,640,000,000) or the available New Sprint common stock consideration is oversubscribed. As a result of the elections set forth above, the available cash consideration has been oversubscribed. Accordingly, each share of Sprint common stock for which a stock election was made will be converted into the right to receive one share of New Sprint common stock, and each share of Sprint common stock for which a cash election (or no election) was made will be converted into the right to receive a combination of cash and shares of New Sprint common stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV