WATSONVILLE, Calif., July 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- West Marine (Nasdaq:WMAR), the world's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has released its BlueFuture® 2012 Sustainability Report. BlueFuture® encompasses West Marine's company-wide efforts focusing on sustainability, including improving and protecting the marine environments, reducing the company's carbon footprint and encouraging people to enjoy being out on the water.
From Pure Oceans, the company's private label brand of "green" boating products that are better for the user and the environment, to giving millions of dollars in grants over the years to marine-based non-profits — West Marine continues to demonstrate its commitment to preserving our waters and ensuring that future generations will be able to enjoy our marine resources. The report details West Marine's progress towards reducing greenhouse gases, commitments and partnerships to cultivate healthy waterways and fisheries, and support of youth boating programs.
"There is no company in the U.S. that has a bigger impact on boating than West Marine," said Matt Hyde, CEO of West Marine. "It's a privileged position, and with privilege comes great responsibility. Across the board, we've made significant progress towards our mission to 'conserve marine resources, reduce our impact on the environment and promote boating,' but there's more work to do," commented Hyde.Some of the highlights from West Marine's 2012 Sustainability Report:
- West Marine was named in Forbes' Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies in America for the second year in a row
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction of 4.29% YOY. Over 17.5% GHG reduction since 2007 baseline
- 531 grants fulfilled in 2012, bringing the cumulative donation since 1994 for youth boating, boating safety and marine conservation to $4,946,533
- Donated 2,500 life jackets
- Saved more than $1,815,000 in utility costs since 2007 vs. business as usual scenario
- "Green Product of the Year" honorees included Attwood's Fuel Demand Valve and CFA Eco, the world's first copper-free, water-based antifouling bottom paint
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Laurie Fried West Marine 831.761.6944