LONDON, July 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- GW Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: GWPH, AIM: GWP, "GW" or the "Company"), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics from its proprietary cannabinoid product platform, is pleased to note the announcement from its partner Almirall S.A. that Sativex® is now available in Italy as a prescription medicine for use in the treatment of moderate to severe spasticity in Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients who have not responded adequately to other anti-spasticity medications. The launch follows receipt of full marketing authorization for Sativex® by the Italian health authorities in May. The medicine is reimbursed by the Italian authorities as a Class H (hospital dispensed) medicine. The reimbursed price of the medicine granted by the authorities in Italy is consistent with the reimbursed Sativex® price in Spain.
"As one of the largest markets in Europe, the launch of Sativex® in Italy is a key milestone in the commercialization of this important new medicine. Italy represents yet another addition to the growing number of countries in Europe in which Sativex® is now available to treat MS spasticity, a particularly debilitating symptom of MS that is not adequately treated with currently available medications," stated Justin Gover, Chief Executive Officer of GW. "With a total of 21 countries that have now approved Sativex ® for use in the treatment of MS spasticity, and a further 9 countries in which regulatory submissions are ongoing, we look forward to a series of further commercial launches over the coming twelve months."
The full text of Almirall's announcement is below. (NOTE: the following press release issued by Almirall S.A. is translated into English for the convenience of the reader. Some variation may have occurred in this translation.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV