Parents Of Kathlynn Shepard Join Push For New Law To Protect Iowa Children
DAYTON, Iowa, July 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The parents of Kathlynn Shepard, the Iowa teen who was kidnapped and murdered last month by a paroled convict, are teaming up with Chelsea's Light to help pass a law that will protect Iowa children from the tragedy they suffered recently.
Kathlynn's Law would be based on a similar measure called Chelsea's Law, which passed in California in 2010. That law was named after Chelsea King, a 17-year San Diego girl who was raped and murdered by a man who was out on parole after serving just five years in prison for sexually assaulting his 13-year-old neighbor.
In addition to a one-strike provision for sexual predators who rape children, Chelsea's Law enhanced monitoring of paroled sex offenders and other criminals thought to be dangerous to children.Michael and Denise Shepard are working with Chelsea's Light, the organization founded by Chelsea's parents, Brent and Kelly King, to help strengthen Iowa's laws and protect others from tragedies like the one their family is suffering. "Michael and Denise are overwhelmed with grief over the loss of Kathlynn, but like our family, they want to channel their grief toward a measure that can help prevent known dangerous criminals from preying on someone else's child," said Brent King. "Nothing can bring Kathlynn back, but they can honor her memory by helping to make Iowa's children safer through Kathlynn's Song Law." King, who championed Chelsea's Law in California, founded Chelsea's Light and its legislative-advocacy arm, Chelsea's Shield, to raise awareness about child sexual assault and pass laws to help prevent it. Since the effort to pass Chelsea's Law was officially launched in March, legislative efforts to pass the one-strike and other child-safety provisions have moved forward in Illinois, Ohio and Texas. SOURCE Chelsea's Shield
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV