SPDR S&P 500 ETF
First up is our go-to proxy for the broad market, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF ( SPY). SPY essentially trades in lock-step with its benchmark index, a market metric that's been under heavy scrutiny over the last few months as a big correction took shape. Now, though, I think that the outlook for the S&P is a lot more cut and dry.
The S&P had been in a very well-defined uptrend since all the way back in November, but that uptrend broke in June when the big index fell below its 50-day moving average. Since then, SPY has been making lower highs. That's a downtrend in my book.Despite many attempts over the last few days, SPY has been hitting its head on newfound support at the 50-day moving average. If the 50-day can swat the index lower, then more downside is a pretty obvious conclusion. More importantly, new trendline resistance (marked in red) connecting the highs in SPY needs to get taken out before stocks are in anything but a downtrend. The downtrend in momentumadds some extra evidence of that. To be clear, I don't think we're in store for a bear market from here, but this corrective period isn't showing signs of abating at this point. Caveat emptor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV