Still, such a scenario might be a disappointing conclusion to Dell's multi-decade run in public stock markets. Dell has spent recent years collecting billions in fast growing services businesses and its offshore bank account has accumulated billions more given the PC-maker's reluctance to invest heavily on mobile devices like tablets.
The cash flow of Dell's PC business and the value of its services business give the company a real prospect of joining the likes of turnarounds such as IBM (IBM), Xerox (XRX) and even Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) under CEO Meg Whitman's leadership, as Icahn noted in a recent presentation.
Corporate turnarounds, despite uncertainty and the frequency of failure, are one of the hallmarks of American capitalism. They often prove an alignment of incentives between Wall Street and corporate boards can make businesses nimble, better run and more entrepreneurial.
Unfortunately, Dell's takeover drama may end not as a referendum on the company's prospects in new strategy, but instead a short-term focus on price and financial engineering. If Dell gets bought at $13.65 a share, $14 a share or $15 a share, it will not be a turnaround.Carl Icahn still has articulated a better vision for Dell as a corporate turnaround, even if it likely won't take much of a price increase for the Michael Dell and Silver Lake consortium to win over skeptical shareholders. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York. Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV