Prioritized slightly under the first tranche is the distribution to the tribe, which amounts to about $3 million per month, a source said. That distribution may increase if Foxwoods performs well.
Originally, the casino paid out dividends to individual tribe members, but under the restructuring plan, the payments will go directly to the tribal council to fund services such as the police force.
The next tranche of debt comprises the Special Revenue Obligation (SRO) bonds. Those bondholders, which include bond-insurer MBIA Inc. and Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, didn't take a haircut in the restructuring.
However, the holders of Subordinated Special Revenue Obligation (SSRO) bonds and 8.5% notes -- the two classes with the lowest priority -- did take losses, although the special debt instruments designed for the restructuring could help them perform well in the future. SSRO holders include distressed bond investor Fundamental Advisors LP, while 8.5% noteholders include Pioneer Asset Management and insurer Aegon Group.Foxwoods is not the only tribe-owned casino to restructure its debt in recent memory. Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority, which runs the Mohegan Sun resort in Uncasville, Conn., restructured debt through an exchange offer in January 2012. The Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino in Coarsegold, Calif., restructured debt in 2011. The Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians restructured debt related to their Lake of the Torches casino in 2011. The Mescalero Apache tribe restructured $200 million in 12% bonds related to its Inn of the Mountain Gods resort in Mescalero, N.M., in 2010. Also in 2010, the Pueblo of Pojaque's Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino in Santa Fe restructured $245 million in senior notes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV