How to Compare Financial Advisers the Right Way
By Rick Kahler
NEW YORK ( AdviceIQ) -- Comparison-shopping is important before choosing a new refrigerator or lawn mower. It's even more essential before choosing an investment adviser. But don't believe you can compare investment returns, because you can't.
At any retail store, you can spot comparison shoppers a few aisles away. They are the ones carrying articles from Consumer Reports, badgering the salesperson with a million and one questions. People who manage money well are usually big fans of comparison shopping.
Unfortunately, there is no easily available consumer's report on advisers. Even more frustrating, those selling financial products often have incentives not to be forthcoming with the information that is crucial for comparison.
One aspect of shopping for an investment adviser is knowing what questions to ask. One common mistake is to focus on investment returns. Shoppers may ask for the average recent returns of the adviser's portfolios or may want to know whether the adviser's returns beat the market averages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV