4 Tips to Tackle Your Midyear Debt
TransUnion, the Chicago credit ratings company, reports that the national credit card delinquency rate, defined as the ratio of borrowers 90 days or more late on their card payment, is down 18.8% from the end of last year.
In addition, the average credit card debt declined 4.8% in the first quarter of this year, to $4,878 from $5,122. That's a good sign, one that suggests U.S. financial consumers are really watching their wallets and pocketbooks, and especially their credit card usage.
"We traditionally see credit card delinquencies and balances decline during the first three months of the year as many people pay down their holiday shopping balances or use their tax refunds to pay off their debts," says Ezra Becker, vice president of research and consulting at TransUnion. "In addition to the seasonal quarter-over-quarter drop, the year-over year improvement in credit card delinquencies is indicative of how consumers continue to value their credit card relationships."auto loan delinquency rates are rising, although most of that "upgrade" is due to rising delinquency rates in the subprime auto loan sector. If all that sounds a tad contradictory, well, it is. Thus, it's even more important to get your own debt picture straightened out so all your debt payments are lined up and in good standing. And the beginning of July -- which signals the start of the second half of 2013 -- is a great time to do it. TransUnion has a few tips to establish a "midyear" strategy for Americans struggling to streamline their debt picture.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV