NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I don't always talk about industrial stocks, but when I do, I prefer Alcoa (AA). And that's because Alcoa is the most interesting company in what has been a brutal industry -- aluminum -- over the past couple of years.
During that period I've been beating the patience drum to anyone who would listen and detailing the prospects of not only a recovery in the price of aluminum but of the value that remains in Alcoa's stock.
I won't argue that my optimism has yet to translate into meaningful results. But Alcoa's management continues to make the best of a bad situation.
Although the management team does have a strong track record of solid execution, that doesn't mean it is able to manufacture growth out of thin air.(BHP) posted revenue declines of more than 14%. With fiscal second-quarter earnings due out Monday, I believe it's time to reshift our focus on Alcoa's performance. I won't disagree that revenue growth is important. But I also don't expect a significant year-over-year improvement, either. Analysts are expecting second-quarter sales to come in flat to lower by as much as 20 basis points. Truth be told, it would surprise me if the company posted any positive sales growth at all. Don't mistake this for a knock on the company's ability. But after watching the sluggish nature of this industry for more than three years, I think it's now important for investors to lessen their focus on aluminum demand and start appraising Alcoa more on its segmental performances -- particularly its respective after-tax-operating-income (ATOI) results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV