Quick Take: Portugal Boosts Case for Gold
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With gold near a three-year low, is it a buy, or simply a bull trap? Here to help TheStreet's Lindsey Bell is Will Rhind, head of U.S. Operations at ETF Securities.
After a couple of strong sessions following its break to less than $1,200, gold cooled off a bit Tuesday ahead of Wednesday morning's ADP jobs report, Thursday's European Central Bbank interest rate announcement, and Friday's U.S. nonfarm payrolls report.
However, the question from prospective gold owners remains: Is this a safe level to buy gold?
Although gold prices have seemed to consolidate over the past couple of months, the yellow metal "makes sense" at these levels, especially if you worry about Europe and global inflation risks, according to Rhind.Portugal is not helping matters in the short term. The country's debt rates have started to tick higher, as the spreads have widened and debt is becoming more expensive. There are long-term reasons to own gold as well, according to Rhind. With loose monetary policies around the globe, slow growth and massive debts in the Western world, gold is a way to preserve wealth, he says. All of the global risks are still pushing investors towards gold, and "I think that trend hasn't change, and most likely won't change over the longer-term," Rhind concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV