NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One long-standing investment strategy is called the Dogs of the Dow.
At the start of the year, you build a portfolio with the 10 highest-yielding stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and then reconstitute the portfolio a year later.
This is a contrarian strategy because stocks with relatively high yields have those high yields because they have underperformed. Last year's laggards, the thinking goes, will be this year's leaders.
A year ago ETF provider ALPS launched the ALPS Sector Dividend Dogs ETF (SDOG), which owns the five highest-yielding stocks from each of the 10 S&P 500 sectors. Each stock in the fund is targeted at a 2% weight, and each sector is targeted at a 10% weight. Since inception SDOG, has outperformed the S&P 500 by three percentage points with a higher yield.(IDOG). IDOG will target developed countries excluding the U.S. and Canada. Similar to SDOG, IDOG owns the five highest-yielding stocks from each of the 10 sectors, with each stock targeting a 2% weight in the fund and each sector having a 10% weight. IDOG will pay a quarterly dividend, but it too early for any specific yield information. It is worth noting that foreign companies often only pay a dividend once or twice a year so IDOG's payouts could be uneven. The country breakdown is very similar to the iShares MSCI EAFE ETF (EFA). Japan is the largest country at 18%, followed by the U.K. at 12% and Finland and Australia, each with a bit less than 10%. The country weightings are similar to EFA, which may not be a good thing. The Japanese market was white-hot earlier this year before falling 20% in the last few weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV