TheDeal: Bebo Founders Reclaim Company
Bebo filed for Chapter 11 protection on May 9.
According to court papers, the company lost more than $2 million over the past year and nine months because of falling revenue and has many outstanding liabilities. Revenue in 2012 fell to $1.22 million, from $2.28 million a year earlier.
A group of minority shareholders sued Criterion, majority owner Adam Levin, Bebo director Tristen Lazareff and Bebo on March 5, 2012, in the Superior Court of the State of California in San Francisco, alleging charges including breach of fiduciary duty, gross mismanagement, unjust enrichment, waste of corporate assets and abuse of control. The plaintiffs include Hecker Consultancy LLC, which owns 14.92% of Bebo; MXB, which owns 9.79%; and SV Angel LLC, which owns 1.96%.
The suit faulted the defendants' alleged operation of Bebo for more than 20 months without a shareholder or board meeting; alleged use of operating funds to pay Bebo staff that also work at Criterion; and alleged charging of unfair management fees and rent.The action sought relief including restitution, unspecified damages and appointment of a receiver.Ong was appointed as receiver on March 5. (The status of the remainder of the litigation was unclear from court papers.) A day later, Bebo Web hosting adviser Quality Technology Services Santa Clara II LLC threatened to terminate all of Bebo's services if the company could not pay $118,518 by May 10. Bebo owed the company for data services.In its official schedules filed May 23, Bebo reported assets of $27,085 and liabilities of $1.76 million.Matthew A Lesnick and William F. Govier of Lesnick Prince & Pappas LLP are debtor counsel. Michael St. James of St. James Law PC represents MXB. -- Written by Aviva Gat in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV