First Manhattan Co. (“FMC”), an owner-managed and operated investment advisory firm and the beneficial holder of approximately 9.9 percent of the outstanding shares of VIVUS, Inc. (“Vivus”) (VVUS), today announced that it has issued a letter to all Vivus stockholders, outlining its strategic plan to turn around Vivus, including the selection of a highly qualified CEO to lead the company should FMC’s nominees be elected to the Board.
With the 2013 Vivus Annual Meeting approaching on July 15, 2013, FMC urges Vivus stockholders to vote the WHITE proxy card for its nine board nominees and its plan to unlock the real value potential of Qsymia through the right management team, commercial partner, commercialization plan, reimbursement strategy and EU regulatory approval plan.
The full text of the letter follows:
July 2, 2013Dear Fellow Vivus Shareholders: We at First Manhattan Co. have written to you before to discuss the very important choice you have that will determine the future of your investment in Vivus, Inc. Vivus’ Annual Meeting of Shareholders will be held on July 15, 2013, and we are seeking your help in replacing Vivus’ current Board of Directors by electing our nine nominees to realize the value we all see in the Company. Our highly qualified nominees have been carefully chosen for the critical skills and experience that we believe are necessary to turn around Vivus. In addition, we have selected a world-class CEO with deep experience launching blockbuster drugs in the U.S. to lead Vivus if our nominees are elected. We believe that Qsymia is the most effective obesity drug ever developed. The initial launch opportunity failed under the current management team and the sitting board. This is the last chance to get it right. If Qsymia is properly re-launched, Qsymia has the potential to improve the quality of life for millions of people while generating substantial value for shareholders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV