TORRANCE, Calif., July 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported 10 million sales of its Toyota Camry, America's top-selling car for the past 11 years, representing nearly 20 percent of all vehicles Toyota has ever sold in the U.S. This milestone comes the same year Camry celebrates its 30 year anniversary in the U.S.
"We couldn't be more excited about Camry's 10 millionth sale in the U.S.," said Bob Carter, senior vice president of automotive operations of Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. "With the support of so many loyal customers, Camry has truly become part of the country's fiber. For seven generations, Toyota dealers have also been instrumental in getting Americans behind the wheel of a Camry. Camry is definitely helping Toyota Go Places."
Toyota's first generation Camry was introduced to the U.S. market in 1983. In its first full year of sales, Camry sold 52,651 vehicles. Three decades later, 773 of those Camrys are still in operation.
Toyota brought Camry production to its plant in Georgetown, Ky. in May of 1988, marking the company's early commitment to investment in North America. In October 2006, the first Camry hybrid was produced, strengthening Toyota's hybrid leadership position in the U.S.Overall, there are approximately 6.4 million Camrys on the road, further echoing the quality, reliability and durability still represented by Camry seven generations down the line. This year, J.D. Power and Associates underscored Camry's value by ranking it number one in the midsize passenger car segment in its 2013 Initial Quality Study (IQS). Today Camry is also the most American made car with 75 percent of its content sourced domestically, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV