NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On June 10 I wrote Community Banks Remain Reluctant To Lend where I profiled 13 community banks, where nine were rated buy. In today's post I note that five of these community banks have been downgraded to hold including one this morning. I added two community banks that were upgraded to buy since June 10.
My benchmark for community banks is the America's Community Bankers Index
Chart Courtesy of Thomson/Reuters
Among the 11 community banks profiled today, seven are undervalued and four are overvalued. All have had tremendous gains of 28.4% to 318.5% over the last 12 months. The projections for the next 12 months call for weak gains of just 1.7% to 8.9%. Two banks have single-digit 12 month trailing price-to-earnings ratios and four have P/E above 20.0.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV