NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wells Fargo (WFC) was downgraded by Keefe, Bruyette & Woods late Monday on concerns a slowdown in refinancing activity will hit the bank's earnings harder than the market appears to be pricing in at the moment.
In lowering his recommendation to market perform from outperform, analyst Chris Mutascio, in part, cited the strong performance of the bank's shares in recent months.
Wells Fargo shares are up 19% since early February, compared to a 13% rise in the KBW Bank Index and a 7% rise in the S&P 500, according to Mutascio.
"The shares are now trading within 4% of our $43 target price. This limited upside potential no longer warrants our Outperform rating," he wrote in a note,Also concerning, according to Mutascio, is the fact that long-term interest rates are rising while short-term rates remain low. "Contrary to popular belief, bank earnings (including Wells Fargo's) are much more levered to higher short-term rates than they are higher long-term rates. We don't see this catalyst playing out for a long time to come. Higher long-term rates with no follow through in short-term rates could create an environment where the modest benefit to net interest income from deploying excess liquidity into moderately higher-yielding investment securities could be offset by lower mortgage banking income due to a drop in refinance volumes," Mutascio wrote. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV