You don't have to be an expert technical analyst to figure out the pattern shaping up in shares of Comerica (CMA); the $7.5 billion banking stock has been in a well-formed uptrending channel since all the way back in November.
In a lot of ways, the uptrend in Comerica has mirrored the one in the broad market. There's been just one big difference: Comerica held its trendline support level in June when the S&P 500 broke down. That's a key indicator that CMA is outperforming the broad market. And that fact makes Comerica a "buy the dips" stock -- the ideal time to jump into shares comes on a bounce off of support.Buying on a bounce off of support makes sense for a couple of reasons. First, it's the place where there's the most upside potential to the top of the channel, and second, it's the place where we'll know we're wrong most quickly. A breakdown below the bottom of the channel is the exit signal in CMA; since it's been a good proxy for support, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop at the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV