Americans love their pets -- and that's been the secret to PetSmart's (PETM) success.
PetSmart is one of the largest pet supply retailers in the country, with 1,250 large-format stores across the country. The firm sells everything from pet food to supplies and toys to smaller pets in its locations; it also provides grooming, training, and veterinary services inside its stores. More than half of PetSmart's sales come from consumables such as food, treats and cat litter. As a result, the firm has hefty recurring revenue generation. PETM also has a big advantage in its store size. While most grocery stores stock pet supplies, they can't offer the selection at a big box store that's only focused on pets. That keeps traffic coming into PetSmart.How much Americans love their pets is another important trend for PetSmart. Consumers have been consistently increasing their spending on pets each year for decades. As pets get treated more and more like full-fledged family members, that trend is very unlikely to reverse. Expect that spending trend to continue to be a solid catalyst for PETM in 2013. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV