July 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH) on Saturday opened the doors of the first store showcasing a number of the features that will be part of a new generation of stores to be rolled out in locations throughout
the United States and internationally over the next several months.
2268 Broadway at 81st Street in Manhattan's Upper West Side,
the store aims to attract tech-hungry shoppers who will find a new level of products, service and excitement in a store that makes the buying experience fun. The store features:
- Newly configured displays highlighting in-demand brands like Apple, HTC and Samsung, as well as mobile carriers such as AT&T and Verizon;
- Store fixtures that enable shoppers to find and compare products, such as a Speaker Wall allowing customers to compare speakers by playing music from their own Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices, and a display demonstrating the capabilities of several models of GoPro cameras;
- Technology that makes shopping interesting and playful, like touchscreens and apps that help shoppers understand the benefits of products;
- Helpful, informative Texpert staff, who can answer shoppers' questions about hundreds of products and services, and point customers to the items that meet their specific needs.
"I am very excited about this store, which brings the essence of our new 'RadioShack: Let's Play' branding to the heart of
, and I am also thrilled about the support and very positive reactions of our neighbors," said
, chief executive officer of RadioShack Corporation. "Our goal at RadioShack is to make our iconic brand relevant to new segments of the consumer market, while reinforcing our commitment to the strong and loyal base of customers who have known RadioShack for many years. We know that all of these consumers like technology when it makes their lives simpler, but they love technology when it make their lives fun."
Over the next several weeks, RadioShack plans to open a variety of different store configuration prototypes in the
metropolitan area, as well as in
. The configurations will be customized based on locations, local buying patterns and neighborhood needs. Key learnings from each of the newly configured stores will serve as the foundation for future retrofits and remodeling of many of RadioShack's 4,300 stores throughout the United States.
"We have pre-tested with consumer panels a number of the concepts that are rolling out in the 2268 Broadway store, and we know that consumers are excited about them," Mr. Magnacca said. "But based on my nearly 30 years in retail I know that the proof of concept always comes when shoppers begin exploring the stores, and that the evolution of the shopping experience never ends. We will fine-tune the concepts people are seeing here today, and by making the experience a fun one for the consumer, with the right mix of products, placement and price, we expect be able to build the trajectory of RadioShack's growth and profitability."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts