LOS ANGELES, July 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ron Burkle today filed suit against the dissident nominees to the board of directors of Morgans Hotel Group Co. (NASDAQ: MHGC) put forward by OTK Associates, a Morgans shareholder, and against OTK. Burkle owns The Yucaipa Companies, an investment firm that is the largest stakeholder in Morgans.
Today's complaint, filed in federal court in the Southern District of New York, alleges that the defendants engaged in federal proxy rule violations during the recent contest for control of the Morgans board. In particular, the defendants are accused of making materially false and misleading statements and omissions in describing the recommendations of the country's two leading proxy advisory firms, Glass Lewis & Co. and Institutional Shareholder Services Inc., which led to a tainted election. The complaint seeks a new election for the Morgans board of directors.
Last week Yucaipa sued Morgans in New York state court for Morgans' breach of its agreements with Yucaipa. Yucaipa is the largest stakeholder in Morgans, through ownership of all of the Company's outstanding preferred stock, over 50% of its convertible notes, and warrants for 12.5 million shares of common stock. Burkle personally owns common stock of Morgans.About The Yucaipa Companies The Yucaipa Companies is a premier investment firm that has established a record of fostering economic value through the growth and responsible development of companies. As an investor, Yucaipa works with management to strategically reposition businesses and implement operational improvements, resulting in value creation for stakeholders, customer and employees. Since its founding in 1986, the firm has completed mergers and acquisitions valued at more than $35 billion. For more information visit www.yucaipaco.com SOURCE The Yucaipa Companies
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV