Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), a premier provider of specialized insurance and insurance-related products and services, today announces it finalized the structure of the Company’s 2013 Property Catastrophe Reinsurance Program, including $185 million of newly issued three-year, fully collateralized catastrophe bonds.
“Assurant's reinsurance program supports the protection we provide for more than 2.2 million policyholders,” said Gene Mergelmeyer, president and CEO of Assurant Specialty Property. “Assurant diversified and expanded our reinsurance coverage by nearly 20 percent this year, leveraging traditional catastrophe reinsurance and catastrophe bonds at lower rates.”
Comprehensive Risk Management
Multiple factors are considered in evaluating the size and components of our reinsurance program including the estimated claims loss potential from various perils, the cost efficiency of the reinsurance coverage available and the credit quality, financial strength and claims paying ability of the reinsurers in the program.Assurant placed its traditional catastrophe program in two phases, in January and June 2013, with more than 50 reinsurers rated A- or better by A.M. Best. The company supplements the traditional 2013 per-occurrence program through reinsurers, with multi-year fully collateralized coverage, financed with catastrophe bonds to further diversify sources of reinsurance capacity. The program provides protection against earnings volatility and helps safeguard Assurant’s balance sheet. Overall, the 2013 Property Catastrophe Reinsurance Program includes:
- Per-occurrence catastrophe coverage, providing protection of up to $1.82 billion in excess of a $240 million retention or risk retained by the Company. This year’s coverage is structured in seven layers, placed 100 percent through traditional reinsurance and catastrophe bonds.
- Catastrophe bonds, providing $315 million of multi-year, fully collateralized hurricane coverage: $130 million issued in January 2012 by Ibis Re II Ltd. and $185 million issued in June 2013 by Ibis Re II Ltd. The reinsurance purchased in 2013 from Ibis Re II Ltd. consists of three separate layers of coverage for protection against losses from individual hurricane events, including catastrophe prone areas along the Gulf and East Coasts of the United States, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
- Multiple storm protection coverage, lowering the program retention to $140 million subsequent to the first event and providing for a maximum recovery of $100 million for the second and subsequent events.
- Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund (FHCF) 1 coverage, providing Florida-specific coverage for 90 percent of losses up to $503 million in excess of a $192 million retention level.
- Multi-year traditional and collateralized capacity, providing $140 million of limit for coverage in addition to the IBIS Re II, Ltd. on a multi-year basis ($70 million multi-year traditional, and $70 million multi-year collateralized, respectively). This additional limit was placed to further enhance Assurant's long-term protection from catastrophic perils.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV