Microsoft’s challenge is creating an operating system that is suitable for both a tablet, which has a touch interface, and a desktop, which uses a keyboard and mouse. Despite the challenges, Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7. It boots faster, provides better management utilities for users, and fits the needs of both consumers and power users. If Microsoft and its hardware partners market the improved performance, the software giant could see stronger Windows sales.
Weak sales for Windows 8.1 could also be bad news for Hewlett-Packard (HPQ). Shares are up nearly 25% in the past year, helped by cost-cutting and better sales results. Investors do not anticipate Microsoft’s Windows 8.1 to be a catalyst for higher PC sales, which explains low forward P/Es. Microsoft trades with a forward P/E of 11, while HP trades at 7:
Analyze These Ideas: Access a performance overview for all stocks in this article.
Written by Chris Lau, Kapitall Contributor
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV