GE Oil & Gas (NYSE: GE) today announced that it has completed its acquisition of Lufkin Industries, Inc., a leading provider of artificial lift technologies for the oil and gas industry and a manufacturer of industrial gears based in Lufkin, Texas, for approximately $3.3 billion. The move broadens GE Oil & Gas’ artificial lift capabilities with solutions for a wider variety of well types and technology for production automation and optimization in the drilling industry.
On June 27, Lufkin shareholders voted to approve the transaction, in which shareholders will receive $88.50 per share in cash for each of their Lufkin shares.
Lufkin, with approximately 4,500 employees in more than 40 countries, manufactures and services a broad portfolio of artificial lift equipment through a global network of more than 110 service centers and nine manufacturing facilities. Artificial lift, used in 94 percent of the roughly 1 million oil-producing wells around the world, helps lift resources to the surface in reservoirs with low pressure and improves the efficiency of naturally flowing wells. GE, already active in artificial lift with electric submersible pumps (ESP), will now have expanded capabilities that include rod lift, gas lift, plunger lift, hydraulic lift, progressive cavity pumps and a sophisticated array of well controls and software. GE executive Ian Milne, most recently president of GE Oil & Gas’ Pressure Control business, will lead the Lufkin business post-close.
“Artificial lift technologies are essential in increasing well output, whether it’s maximizing the potential of a new well or breathing fresh life into a mature one,” said Daniel C. Heintzelman, president and CEO, GE Oil & Gas. “With Lufkin’s technologies, highly skilled employees and automation and optimization solutions, GE can now offer a more complete portfolio that address a wider variety of well types at all stages of the production life cycle.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV