A recent University of Phoenix® survey finds that more than half (55 percent) of working adults are interested in changing careers, with nearly a quarter (24 percent) extremely or very interested in a career change. Only 14 percent of American workers are in their dream careers. The most desired careers are in arts and sciences (17 percent), business management (16 percent) and technology (14 percent).
The survey also looks at the barriers to career change and whether or not working adults are living up to their own expectations, and those of their parents. The online survey of more than 1,600 U.S. employed adults was conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of University of Phoenix in April 2013.
Who wants to change careers?
Although 78 percent of younger workers in their 20s are interested in changing careers, they are not the only ones. In fact, 64 percent of working adults in their 30s are interested in changing careers, followed by 54 percent in their 40s, 51 percent in their 50s and 26 percent who are 60 years or older. Even in upper levels of management, there is a considerable desire to change careers. Forty-three percent of C-level executives are at least somewhat interested in changing careers, with more than a quarter (26 percent) very or extremely interested.“It is not uncommon for working adults to consider one or multiple career changes,” said Dr. Bill Pepicello, president of University of Phoenix. “Choosing one career path after high school or college and sticking with it for the rest of a career is becoming less common as the pace of business and technology quickly change jobs and industries. At University of Phoenix, we see many working adults coming back to school 10 to 20 years after they started their careers to prepare for a new career or find new growth opportunities in their current industry.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV