Highlights New Approach to Address Global Antibiotic Resistance Crisis
EMERYVILLE, Calif., July 1, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE:NBY), an advanced clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the topical, anti-infective market, today announced that Chief Financial Officer Thomas J. Paulson has been interviewed by CEOLIVE TV. In the interview, Mr. Paulson explains how the company has developed a new class of molecules that have the potential to move the anti-infective market "beyond antibiotics". The interview is available at: NBY CEOLIVE TV.
In a move to help address the growing global healthcare crisis of antibiotic resistance, NovaBay's proprietary Aganocides ® are unique compounds that mimic the power of naturally-occurring white blood cells to kill bacteria, viruses and fungi. Unlike the molecules produced by white blood cells that have a relatively short half-life, being synthetic organic molecules, NovaBay's Aganocides have a stable shelf life of two to three years. Aganocides, led by the novel molecule auriclosene (NVC-422), do not cause the evolution of bacterial or fungal resistance. Having demonstrated efficacy in Phase 2 proof-of-concept clinical studies in multiple indications, auriclosene has the potential to treat a wide range of local, non-systemic infections.Mr. Paulson also reported on three of the company's ongoing Phase 2 clinical trials related to auriclosene. NovaBay expects all three trials to produce results before the end of 2013:
1. Urology: A clinical study of auriclosene (NVC-422) Flush Solution in the management of urinary catheter blockage and encrustation (UCBE) in patients with long-term indwelling catheters. Individuals with the highest risk for UCBE come from a wide range of conditions, many of which are associated with neurological damage, such as spinal cord injury, stroke, and multiple sclerosis. 2. Dermatology: NovaBay has partnered with Galderma, the world's leading dermatology-focused pharmaceutical company, to develop Auriclosene Gel for treatment of impetigo, a highly contagious and painful skin infection, which occurs most commonly in children.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV