Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC), a global leader in remote control innovation, announced it has filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Central District of California against Universal Remote Control, Inc., based in Harrison, New York, for patent infringement. UEI seeks a permanent injunction in addition to monetary damages against Universal Remote Control.
“The decision to move forward with this action was made only after all other options had been exhausted,” stated Paul Arling, Chairman and CEO of Universal Electronics. “UEI has a significant investment in these technological advancements created over many years of innovation. Unfortunately, it sometimes becomes necessary to protect our investments through legal channels.”
In this lawsuit, UEI asserts infringement by Universal Remote Control of the following nine United States Patents:
- United States No. 5,228,077, entitled "Remotely Upgradable Universal Remote Control";
- United States Patent No. 5,255,313, entitled "Universal Remote Control System";
- United States Patent No. 5,414,761, entitled "Remote Control System";
- United States Patent No. 5,552,917, entitled "Remote Control";
- United States Reissued Patent No. RE39,059, entitled “Computer Programmable Remote Control”;
- United States Patent No. 6,407,779, entitled "Method and Apparatus for an Intuitive Universal Remote Control System";
- United States Patent No. 7, 126,468, entitled "System and Method for Monitoring Remote Control Transmissions";
- United States Patent No. 7,589,642, entitled "Relaying Key Code Signals Through A Remote Control Device"; and
- United States Patent No. 7,831,930, entitled "System and Method for Displaying a User Interface for a Remote Control Application."
UEI previously filed a suit against Universal Remote Control in March 2012 alleging infringement of four other patents. That lawsuit is currently pending before the same district court.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV